Sunday 8 November 2009

Remembrance Sunday

A day of remembrance. It was very moving to watch the ceremonies on TV this morning. It hit me harder this year because my son has enlisted in the army. It is easy to forget the country is at war. Remembrance Sunday used to be just about World War 1 & 2.

My husband's mother was German so we remember both sides. His maternal grandfather was a prisoner of war in Stalingrad. I try to remind my son that their are 2 sides to any argument and 2 sides to any war. Any soldier is a son, brother, father or husband and there is grief felt for any death or injury.

I, however, am in a unique position that enables me to empathise with all sides in all wars. I am grateful for this insight which I believe makes me a better person than I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment